Friday, December 2, 2011

Welcome to the New Blog!!!

Hi and welcome. This blog represents the work of the students of Eukaryotic Microbiology. This year I am experimenting with the use of social media in the course to promote learning and develop communication skills.

To try this out, students were assigned to write an interesting and compelling essay on a eukaryotic microbe. Each student picked their own organism and identified an area of interest. Students were left with the difficult job of having many choices regarding the type of essay they wrote and the voice they used in their essays. I told them to write to an educated but otherwise lay audience.

I, and I expect the students, are interested in any feedback you may have regarding their essays. However, since this is the first time I have attempted this kind of assignment, I feel particularly protective of my students. Therefore, any and all mean-spirited or otherwise trollish comments will be deleted (and I will envision bad things happening to you, probably involving worms or other nasty ass parasites). If I do this in the future, I will probably let the students deal with trolls themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment